We love to cook. I say "we" because everyone gets into the act at my house. Well, to be honest, the 4 year old is limited in what she is allowed to do in the kitchen but she frequently has her stool pulled up to the counter so that she can "help". There are a few kitchen implements that I would not be able to survive without. My good chef's knife, my new pepper grinder and my All Clad saute pans are high on the list. But no item is in such constant use as my wooden cutting board. It is nestled in between the sink and the stove and is our primary prep area. All manner of foods are chopped, minced, diced or otherwise cut down to size on the board. It is the main staging area for all of our baking, mixing and stirring. Definitely a high traffic zone.
My old broad was 10 years old. It sat directly on the tile counter top and in the last year had begun to warp from sitting for years in the damp. Chopping anything made it rock and the mixer positively had the thing swinging in place. When it started to crack I started a search for a replacement.
I won't bore you with the long, convoluted story of how I found the Board Smith. Suffice it to say that it was worth the journey. My new board, made of edge end maple is a thing of beauty. It was made for me by David in North Carolina. With love and care. He was thrilled because I was his first customer from Maine. I am thrilled because my new board is a wonderful blend of form and function. It will be well used for many, many years.
You can learn more about David and his boards here.
Monday, March 05, 2007
A New Board
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
O my gosh, that's gorgeous! I'm gonna check this guy out.
WOW, now that is a cutting board, it's beautiful and practical.
You go girl - cook up some love!
Can you hear Chad swooning over here? He LOVES a good cutting board too. I am not a cook so it just doesn't thrill me like that. *sigh* I will give him the link though. :)
Post a Comment