For the past 2 year I have been battling a cigarette addiction. Money flies out of my tight fists and my asthma gets increasingly worse. The cost of the cigs and the asthma meds without insurance could fund a small nations health budget. I quite every night only to end up buying a pack by noon. I know that it is a symptom of the depression but I am sick and tired of it.
Last night I was helping a new breastfeeding mom on the phone. She has had a rough start but is hanging in there. She confided to me that she had started smoking again because of the stress. Only 4 cigarettes a day...and was that o.k? Well, No My Dear, it is not. It is not good for you or your baby. And 4 can very easily turn into 20 in a matter of days. Stop Now and find other ways to relieve your stress. Other ways to get the endorphin kick that you are looking for. I was filled with wisdom and support.
This morning I slapped a 21 mg Nicotine patch to butt. If I am to grow in wisdom I have to challenge the hypocritical side of myself. Healer, heal thyself.
My plan is to take the day in short segments. I will not smoke until lunch. At lunchtime I plan to try not to smoke until dinner. And whenever I start to get wiggy I plan on reciting three of my 2 dozen "I Choose" statements. Such as:
I choose to breath
I choose to hold my grandchildren
I choose to smell good
I choose to save my cig money and buy new bras
I choose Life
Monday, January 29, 2007
I Choose Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Good for you!! I'm rooting for ya, sistah! :-)
You go, girl! Just think, your addiction is to something you CAN live without. My addiction (to food) is much harder to control. Although I hear that smokers begin to substitute food, it's still just a substitute for the real thing. Go get 'em!
I have asthma too, and I don't even see how you can smoke and have it. I have a hard enough time breathing when exercising or when it's cold out - I get an asthma attack within 15 feet of someone smoking. Please hold on and quit, Ashley. Keep reciting those mantras and slapping on those patches. I know it's hard - you can do it.
good choice! baby steps is all you can do.
If sending you mental strength will help, then consider it done. I'm on your side.
Im so very proud of you!! I know you can beat this. Luvs Ya, Mom
You can do it!!! Quiting is very hard I know I've tried...and failed.
Keep on trying and don't give up, it's your life you're saving.
Start associating the cigarette with something disgusting - like a straw covered in horsecrap. Association is super powerful. Thinking of you.
Alright, I need to say your little mantra the next time a choclate chip cookie jumps in my path, demands I eat it, and then shoves itself down my fat mouth...OY....
Keep up the good work, you can do it!!!!
OOOOH, I like Mama P's idea!
Good on you for just doing it. The affirmations are a great idea, i'll steal it if you don't mind!
Would it help to have a motivational jar -- a "bra jar" if you will? Everytime you want a cigarette, put cash the pack would have cost you in the jar?
Likewise, everytime you have a cigarette, you have to punish yourself -- um, clean the toilet? the kitchen floor? something mundane and awful (that still benefits you in some way...)
Reward target -- if you can go a day without a cigarette you get a glass of wine or something? a week without a cigarette you get to....well, you need to decide what the reward should be.
I'm not very fond of my ex, but he appears to have finally managed to quit smoking and I'm glad for him. And my kids, since apparently a smoker in the house makes it more likely they will smoke, and I don't want that.
Post a Comment