I have been dreading today for the last six months. Ever since my last teeth cleaning. And I dreaded that one for six months before that. The never ending cycle of dread goes all the way back to when I was a child. I blame my phobia on a sister. I can't remember which one, not that it much matters. It all started when she and I both had to have cavities filled on the same day and one of us boasted to the other that it wouldn't hurt to have the filling done without Novocaine. We were both terrified of that huge Novocaine needle. My memory is unclear as to which one of us actually had the cavity filled without the Novocaine. Did I watch her as she cried and screamed or did she watch me? It's a moot point. The damage was done and a lifetime of dental phobia was born on that day.
My dentist is a kind and funny man. The first time he had to replace one of my old fillings I explained to him that I bite. He explained that he would bite me back. We arrived at a respectful truce. And I am pleased to report that after being under his fine care for the last 12 years neither of us has been bitten by the other. Although we have had some close calls.
None of this changes the fact that I would rather birth a 10 pound baby through my left nostril then have someone pick at my teeth with dental tools.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Dental Appointment Today
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I am with yo on this one. I would rather go see my gynecologist that have my teeth cleaned.
My phobia is from the military dentists when i was young. Shudder.
thank you ...thank you...thank you, a million thank you's. I needed to set one up for youngest, who has an on again off again toothache. I had forgotten AGAIN, until I read your post, and promptly made the appt. Conveniently, they had just had a cancelllation for Thurs....spooky, huh?
Ask for nitrous. I demand it for cleanings, for fillings, for everything. They never question me, and if I get it for cleanings, it costs me $40 out of pocket, but I don't care. I hate the dentist with a passion and the only way I can tolerate it is if I'm on a medically-approved high...
I'm sorry you're going through anxiety about it, but you do have a beautiful smile.
Post a Comment