Friday, February 15, 2008

Food, Frost and Fear

There are so many good stories to tell about my adventures in Quebec with my flover. Where to begin? Well, to start with, it was cold. Very, very cold. Friday, our first day there, was the nicest of our stay with a balmy high of 15 degrees and no wind. After we arrived at our Chateau we walked across the street for some poutine at Chez Ashton. Poutine, is a favorite local fare. It consists of french fries drenched in gravy topped with cheese curds. It was surprisingly good once you got over the way the cheese curds squeak between your teeth.

We were bundled up for the weather. Long underwear, hats, mittens and scarf (mine) and we would still get cold if we stopped moving long enough. The only solution was to walk and Quebec is nothing if not a walking kind of town. One of the adventures of that first day was a ride down a big ass hill in an inflated rubber boat. I doubt either of us would have risked the ride if we had not egged each other on with "who me....I'm not old". As we waited in line I bushwhacked my way further up the hill to check out an historical maker. I'm a sucker for historical markers. Turned out that the hill we were standing on was the site of a famous Indian massacre. One tribe of Indians making a bonfire of another tribe of Indians. Lovely.

Finally it was our turn to climb into our snow boat. The only seat left was the one in front. Holy shit.....what was I thinking? He clutched my hand and I clutched his arm. Can I get off? Once we started moving I was able to see that we were headed for a series of large bumps in the course. I had not noticed them before because my lack of dept perception had flattened out the terrain. Not so once we got moving. As we picked up speed I started to vocalized my emotions and by the time we hit that first jump I was in full scream. That is when I shut my eyes. Tightly. And started laughing like a mad woman. Screaming and laughing and holding on to dear flover for all I was worth.

We made it to the bottom and I was helped from the snow boat on shaking legs. The tears were freezing to my cheeks and I could not stop giggling.

Little did I know that the next day I would voluntarily climb onto a toboggan. That time I kept my eyes open. But I will save that story for tomorrow.

0 comments: