Thursday, November 15, 2007

Dreams Do Come True

Many, many years ago I attended my first La Leche League meeting. In my arms was my 8 day old baby girl. I was a new breastfeeding mother and I had gone to the meeting seeking help. My nipples were cracked and bleeding. Nursing was so painful that my toes curled when she latched on and I had to do my labor breathing to keep from moaning. The kind women at the meeting showed me how to latch my daughter on correctly but more importantly, gave me the support and encouragement that I needed. Perseverance and dogged determination saw me through the next several weeks. The pain resolved and nursing my child became the joy I had only read about in books.

12 years ago I became certified as a La Leche League Leader. My goal was to give back to other woman what had been given to me in my time of need. Accurate information and support. There have been times over the last several years when I have considered retiring. After all, I am no longer nursing any of my children. But then I will get a phone call from a new mother. She may be weeping and is often stressed and worried. Many times she is in pain. And I am able to help her through to the other side. When I speak to her that last time, sometimes weeks later, having her tell me that I made the difference, that I made it possible for her to continue nursing her child makes me want to continue helping new mothers until I am in a wheel chair.

Two years ago I started to think about going back to work when my baby entered kindergarten. What would I do? And was there some way to turn my passion about breastfeeding into a paying job? After all, I am always telling my kids, "Find your passion and then figure out a way to make a living at it." Last summer, after months of studying and hair pulling and dreaming of breasts I took the exam to become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. And I passed. Last night was my first night as a paid IBCLC at Maine Medical Center. I am their new Breastfeeding Educator. Dreams do come true.

1 comments:

Andrea Frazer said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us a breast! We are heaving with excitement! Oh, the mammories you'll make!