Late yesterday afternoon I arrived home from camp after a week of fog, drip, wild animals, hornet stings and all round, good time, summer fun. I arrived without the kids, having dropped them off with their Dad. After two straight weeks with the dear creatures it took all of my willpower to stop the car and help them unpack their gear. What I really wanted to do was open the vans sliding door and have them all jump for it so that I did not have to stop the car. "Have a wonderful weekend with your Dad, Loves. See you Monday morning. Mommy loves you!." I do love my children, really I do but I also giggled like a madwoman as I drove away. Alone. Blissfully, blessedly ALONE! Amen and Praise the Lord!
Here is what I practiced today.
1) Loafing. I loafed in front of the TV as I watched the Tour. Viva la Tour! I loafed as I read a very funny book by Bill Bryson. Laughed, snorted, chortled, howled and roared. My eyes kept leaking with tears and then I would have to remove my reading glasses to wipe my eyes only to put them back on, read the next word or two and have to repeat the whole process. I also just lay on the couch listening to the radio. Daydreaming. (Loafing is hard work and should not be attempted without prior instruction.)
2) Silence. Yes, I am practicing silence again. You've heard it all before. How I live with four loquacious children who can talk the paper off the walls, the eggs out of a chicken and their mother too death. There are four of them and only one of me. I get out-talked all of the time and I don't even need to be actually speaking for it to happen. So today I am silent. Other then the thoughts in my head and my laughter, I am mute. I even manged to buy breakfast by only smiling and nodding at the clerk.
3) Napping. To be honest, I didn't really need to practice this one. I am a world class napping champion. A gold medalist. A life time devotee of the discipline. Yet, I have not taken a nap in a week. Napping while you watch 4-8 children swim in a lake is not recommended. So, my skills were rusty. It only took one 2 hour nap to get back into top form, however.
That is it. That is all I plan to do today.
Tomorrow. Well, tomorrow I may give resting and idleness a whirl.
But thinking about tomorrow violates a major principle of loafing so that will have to wait.
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Practice Makes Perfect
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
i want to be you please.
where can I submit my order?
Blue, Trust me, you are far better off being you. You have a HELPMATE, a.k.a. husband. The all important, crucial, go to, second adult in the house that makes raising kids feasible. Doing it solo is far to much work.
Which is why I need to practice loafing and silence. Oh, and tomorrow I am going to practice sex. Haven't done that in a while either.
Yee Haa!
"I live with four loquacious children". You win the vocabulary award along with the napping award. And what that person said about you bringing in money in a more respectable fashion? NOT NICE. I don't see why you can't do both. That's my plan anyway. Call me later this week when you're free. Email first if you want so you know I'm free.
Loafing with Bill Bryson is probably one of the best kinds... he keeps it interesting while not engaging your intellect too tremendously. Unless he slips it in. Sometimes that happens and you accidentally "get" an intellectual joke.
I know one other good thing you did this weekend... you stopped by my blog! Glad to hear you had a chance to chill. Sounds like heaven to me.
Love that Bill Bryson!
Post a Comment