Sunday, April 30, 2006

Turning a Blind Eye

I am in class all next week. As a result, I spent my day, a Sunday, a day of supposed rest, trying to do all of the stuff I usually do during the course of the week. Well, half a day. I was in church until noon. So I power folded laundry, ran loads, cleaned a toilet, wiped down the kitchen, picked up toys, shoes, books and other debris. Grocery shopping on a Sunday afternoon just felt wrong. And I did it in an attempt to leave the house in some semblance of order.

I must admit that I don't normally clean the toilets on a weekly basis. There are many areas of my house that I am able to turn a blind eye to. Witness the fact that I have lived without a front hall banister for almost 12 years. Oh, and the foil wallpaper in the hallway. A very blind eye. The kitchen floor gets washed when my feet stick to it. Usually, enough liquid is spilled on the floor by the kids that the wiping up process keeps it fairly clean. The kids have their chores which helps maintain a level of surface clean. I feel successful if I have kept them in clean clothes and healthy food during the week. Although the 8 year old has taken to wearing the same clothes, day in and day out. I have to send him back upstairs most mornings to put on a clean shirt or jeans or both. I don't inspect his underwear or socks. I'm just not that anal.

So I live, happily, with the status quo until something really begins to bug me. The downstairs toilet was really beginning to bug me. I got down on my hands and knees, not a position I like, and scrubbed, with the aide of some truly toxic cleaning product, the entire toilet. I'm not sure which was grosser, the inside or the outside. No matter. It now gleams and my soul is at peace. Well, up until the time that the next thing starts to bug me. I already have a contestant. The kitchen windows. When you can't see your children playing in the back yard while you cook dinner because of the grim you know it has gotten bad. But that's for next weekend.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found that one aid to keeping a truely blind eye is to never clean my trivocals.